Thursday 13 February 2014

Vote for gossip?


My Dear Clansters,

Firstly, my thanks to Parimal for giving the lead, yes “healthy gossips?” Secondly, my thanks to Anju, as ever, supporting me to write, more specifically this time on “gossip”.  The word “gossip” is so juicy.  While I was toying with two or three other topics , the pop-up word “gossip” auto-changed all priorities.  I am restricting this post to CMR Clan, though it can otherwise be accessed. 

Straightaway, it is a bit confusing  whether gossip can be good as well as bad, all the more when the reference is given as “healthy” gossip.  When you mention the word “gossip”, you are more used to think of films/film star gossip, office gossip, of course, family/friends gossip.  You can keep on adding, political gossip, face book gossip, tweeting gossip…..

When I consulted an online dictionary, gossip means:

1. Rumour or talk of a personal, sensational or intimate nature  2. A person who habitually spreads intimate or private rumours or facts  3. Trivial facts ……………. 

Gossip is a reference information  passed by one person (say, A) about another person (say, B) to other person/s (say, C or more  persons).  Ok, let’s agree there are three parties to a gossip.  Gossiper, gossipee and gossip-receivers or gossip well-wishers (Pardon me, I am not sure if there are such words like gossipee and gossiper in English dictionary).  Gossiper is also  used as gossip-monger. 

Gossip is almost always used with a negative reference.  I continue to be confused how it can be referred as “healthy gossip”.  Healthy, yes, except the subject party, the gossipee.  If it is healthy, then it should be something else.  Have we ever come across someone saying “I gossiped nice about you”?  

When we say “healthy”, it should be all-round harmony, isn’t it?  When was the last time you gossiped good and nice about someone?  If we talk good or positive about some one behind their back, can it be termed as good/healthy gossip?  And do you call it a gossip?

 Can someone think of coining a different word  for “healthy  gossip”?

How comfortable are you, when the gossipee knows that you are the one who initiated the gossip?

I agree with the view point that “gossip helps you lose weight”, though shared with a hearty smile.  You can even add that it helps to lessen your stress levels.

Gossip may be harmful, but not a crime.  We are not saints (in fact, many saints are subject matters of gossip).  I am not sure if there is healthy gossip, but gossip can be healthy, healthy for the gossiper and gossip-receivers. 

One area  where gossips may be healthy is celebrities/film industry.  If any reference is reported about film stars , they are happy and healthy about the publicity the gossip generated. When the gossip is complete and all parties are aware of all the contents of the gossip details, how does it feel?

Consider there is truth in a gossip. If the gossipee learns the truth through the gossip and corrects himself/herself, can it be termed as “healthy gossip”?  Can it be taken that the gossipee is grateful for the gossip?  If any one remembers such “healthy” gossip, please share with the Clan.

Generally, when the gossiper comes to know about the gossip, the response is “None of your business”.  On a serious note, yes.  On a lighter vein,  I may feel fine and funny, if not healthy.  Have you observed closely, in any gossip, “listeners” are more than the actual gossiper.   And, gossip is more colourful when ‘cosmetics’ are appropriately  uploaded in the “story”.

Let us not forget that, when I gossip, I must be prepared to get gossiped. After all, I am an ordinary guy and concerned about my stress levels and good health, and occasionally gossip as and when opportunity throws up.

This is more a debate on gossip.  Please pour in your inputs.  Correct me where I am wrong.  Else, it will end up as gossip on debate.

Happy & Healthy gossiping!


No comments:

Post a Comment