Wednesday 19 March 2014

Chennai Diary (March 10 to17, 2014)




10/03/2014: Since I didn’t have much of baggage, I ventured to commute by bus to T,Nagar.    I boarded a waiting Route no.11 and got a seat adjacent to the driver who appeared courteous.  When I extended a 20-rupee note to the conductor, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a ticket for Rs.6/- along with a balance of Rs.14/-.  It took a little while for me to realize that the fare remained at Rs.6/- for a distance of about 5 / 6 kms.  The same distance in Bengaluru costs Rs.15/-.   This was the first time that upon arriving at Central railway station, I felt Chennai was not warm as I had expected, but received a warm welcome at my sister’s residence.  After post-lunch relax, Thambi joined me to step out to Gandhi statue beach.

11/03/2014: Soon after lunch, around 11 a.m., we left for General Post Office (opposie to Beach station) to reactivate my PPFa/c.  Incidentally, we covered the distance by sub-urban train (believe me, the ticket fare is only Rs.5/-).  A walk on the every-busy Rangnathan SWtreet, T.Nagar revived lovely memories. What genuinely shocked me was the lady at the PPF counter displayed remarkable talent to attend the assorted customers, some of whom as usual tried to swarm around her to get their transactions attended on priority.  Kudos to the lady, who was organized, smiling, informative and to the point.  My instant impression was she deserved a bank job to the detriment of many lethargic and selfish employees.

12/03/2014:  The purpose of my trip was to attend the wedding of my friend’s daughter, which was more an excuse, mainly to float around Chennai, meet some old friends and visit some of the places which I had unconsciously neglected during my earlier days in Chennai.


13/03/2014:  I would have, umpteen times, passed by the Vivekananda House on the Beach Road during my earlier years of stay in Chennai, but never bothered to enter the vital  landmark.  To get over the feeling of guilt, I visited the House, which showcased Swami Vivekananda’s personality and messages; a 3-D movie was also screened for the visitors on Swami’s historic speech at Chicago in 1893.  In all the depicted photographs, Swami looked radiating and beautiful.  A startling quote by the Swami from the exhibits: “We are what our thoughts are made of.  So take care what you think.”

14/03/2014:  The most heart-rending and memorable part of the trip was the visit to “Vishranthi”, the old age Home at Palavakkam.  My original plan was to meet the President Mrs. Savithri Vaithi, the brain and soul behind the noble cause, and interview her for my blog post.  Very sadly, I saw her lying down immobile due to paralytic attack.  The existing office-bearers were kind enough to take me to the ailing President.  When  I mentioned to her that we were her immediate neighbors at Prithivi Avenue, Abhiramapuram and told Amma’s name (Saroja Mami) she opened her eyes, though her optic nerves have been severely affected.  She rarely recognized a few people around her, through voice and sounds.  She tried to move her hands, in vain, and I shook her hands.  Mrs. Vaithi is 82 and doctors opine that barring miracle, it is difficult to restore her to normalcy. The Secretary took me around “Vishranthi”, which has expansively grown.  I have gathered enough information to focus an exclusive script on Mrs.Vaithi.  I had once visited the Home in 1984 (Refer: http://kmurthy608.blogspot.in/2014/03/from-here-to-eternity.html).   I am contemplating yet another, exclusive write-up on Mrs. Vaithi, while wholeheartedly wishing her a speedy recovery.

15/03/2014:  The “Darshan” at Nanganallur Anjaneyar temple was spectacular and gratifying.  Being a Saturday, there was good , yet moving crowd.  The gigantic deity draped in green “pattu” is still in my eyes.  “Sakkarai Pongal” and “Peppered wheat pongal” was yummy to complete the prasadam formalities.


16/03/2014:  On the penultimate day, Thambi accompanied me to Mahabalipuram (visiting after more than 15 years).  We spent a couple of hours at the Shore Temple and the beach, slurped a couple of Arun ice-creams, before returning to T. Nagar.  Chennai slowly began scorching.  Mineral water under brand “Amma” (TN Chief Minister Jayalalitha) are sold at Rs.10/- per bottle, as against the price of Rs.15/- at Railway stations and other local shops.

Bits and pieces:

Interestingly, more than one source confirmed as well as in one and the only trip I undertook by auto that in Chennai the drivers, these days, accepted the fare according to the meter. 

By a difference of about two days, I missed CSB at Chennai. Nothing was ‘planned’, I believe, from either end.

Cheema hosted a dinner-treat at Idli Vilas, a new eatery opened at G.N. Chetty Road (Opposite Murugan Idli Kadai).

Very importantly, Revathy has scored a village number.  Congrats to Revathy for making a film singing debut!

My special thanks to Vedhu, Revathy and Thambi for having ensured my stay in Chennai a helpful and pleasant one. 

Overall, an eventful Chennai trip and the visit helped me to understand myself better.

====

Note:  I am restricting this post to CMR Clan, though it can otherwise be accessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment